Skip to content ↓

SEND Local Offer

Local Offer

What is a 'local offer'.

The new law says that every local authority must talk with children and young people with special educational needs or disabilities and their families to find out what sort of support and services they need.

There will be many different types of services that children and young people may need, including support services in school and specialist health services.

Children, young people and their families may also have ideas about what leisure activities should be available, and what services are needed to help young people move towards independence in adulthood.

Every local authority must have a Local Offer that is available on the internet and must make sure that people without access to the internet can also see it. The local authority must tell children and young people and their families how they can find out more about the Local Offer.

The local authority will then decide what services to make available. Every local authority must get feedback on its Local Offer from young people and their families. They must show what feedback they have been given and say how they are going to make improvements to the Local Offer and services.

A Local Offer should also include information about what transport services are available for children and young people with special educational needs or disabilities and if there is any help available to pay for these services.


What support is available for schools and parents in Solihull?

We are proud of all our children and young people in Solihull. While most do well, we know that that some need more support than others or help to get ready for their future life. For these children and young people we deliver a range of services that are committed to working in a way which helps them have the best life possible.

Information about applying for a school place, finding a school, school meals, getting to school, and finding help if your child needs support at school can be found on the Schools and learning webpage.

Information on childcare, activities, and support services can be found on the Children and Family Support page. From here it is possible to apply for early education funding, view information on parenting services, report a child at risk and find out how to become a foster carer.

Details of places to go and things to do in your local community is available via My Solihull Map 

Solihull Local Offer

The Children with Disabilities Social Work Team supports children up to the age of 18 who have learning disabilities, a physical or sensory impairment, chronic and life-threatening or life limiting illness or multiple disabilities whose needs cannot be met through support available at universal, targeted or early help support.

We will assess the needs of children and young people with disabilities who may require additional support because of the impact of their disability.

Access to social care support

There are several routes to access social care support for children with additional needs and disabilities.

Education, Health and Care plan (EHCP)

Your child's needs may be assessed as part of their EHC plan, if social care needs are identified for your child in line with the SEND code of practice and Children and Families Act 2014.

If your child already has an EHCP, then we may assess their needs as part of the annual review process if social care needs are identified.

If you require social care support in between EHCP review process, you can request support through the Solihull front Door/Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH).

Contact the Children with Disabilities Team

If a child/young person receives Level 2 support (Direct payments) from our Children with Disabilities Team and you want to review their support plan or require advice, guidance or signposting to services, please feel free to contact the team on 0121 704 6690 (option 2).

Occupational Therapy

If you have responsibilities for a child with a long term health condition or disability, our Occupational Therapy can provide advice and explore options for rehabilitation, equipment, and adaptations to your home to enable your child to remain as independent as possible.